All proceeds from Ad Clicks goes to the author of this site.

 

Saturday, February 18, 2006

How my son uses the SunRay

Well a couple weeks ago I thought I was ingenious and figured out that I could use rdesktop and VMware to get windows XP on a Sun ray; it gave him the desktop he likes to use, and got him off my ultra 20. Yes it works perfectly, but now I find out that its not uncommon at all to do this as documented at Sun Ray as a windows desktop. They even describe how to implement the solution using windows load balancing application.

If you want the print screen button to work you need to add this to your startup script or your rdesktop script, “Fixing printscreen for sunray

# Fix alt+printscreen
/usr/openwin/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 77 = 0xff62'
# Turn numlock on
/usr/openwin/bin/xset led 1
# Launch rdesktop
/opt/SUNWrdp/bin/rdesktop -a 24 -r sound -f 192.168.8.56

To get a little boost in disk speed if you are running VMware with XP be sure and visit http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/#drivers and grab the SCSI driver disk, and install VMware on a SCSI virtual disk.

Now if you have a kid using the system, after you install, be sure and take a snapshot, just after install, then you can revert back to the previous state when the machine gets a virus or malware,

One more little hint, to get out of the full screen mode of rdesktop its ctrl-alt-enter. So you can get back to the Sunray’s real desktop.

5 Comments:

Anonymous HiFoo said...

Are you running VMware using Solaris as the host OS, or running VMware on a linux host?

2:44 PM  
Blogger jamesd_wi said...

Only in my dreams can I run VMware on solaris, my current setup is, My 2x300mhz Ultra 2 running Solaris Express build 27 is doing the duty of running the Sun Ray server software.

My ultra 20 currently runs WindowsXP sp2 with vmware running on top of it, serving my son's windowsXP desktop.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Cyril Plisko said...

So, you have windoze in vmware in windoze, right ? Why not windoze directly, then ?

3:30 PM  
Blogger jamesd_wi said...

The reason for Windows in Windows is

#1 XP is single user only, so if I'm on the system no one else can access it without vmware

#2 It gives an extra layer of protection, kids tend to access sites that are more likely to contain malware and viruses snd i don't want any of those on my system.

5:12 PM  
Blogger john0 said...

Google XPUnlimited to resolve the single session only problem in XP.

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home